A skin barrier adheres to your peristomal (around the stoma) skin, helping protect your skin from stoma output, and attaching the pouch to your body.
In a two-piece system, the skin barrier is separate from the pouch; in a one-piece system they are combined together.
Skin barriers include:
- Standard wear: Best for colostomy.
- Extended wear: Designed to provide greater protection from stoma output for people living with an ileostomy or urostomy as output can cause skin irritation.
Skin barrier openings vary in fashion, including:
- Cut-to-fit: Can be cut to accommodate your unique stoma size.
- Pre-cut: Available in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate your stoma, without the need for cutting.
- Moldable: By molding around the stoma, this skin barrier creates a snug fit designed to provide greater leakage protection than traditional barriers.
ConvaTec skin barriers come in the following varieties:
- Stomahesive® technology for standard wear.
- Durahesive® technology for extended wear.
- ConvaTec Moldable Technology™ skin barriers for a customized fit.
- Modified versions of Stomahesive® and Durahesive® technologies are found on our one-piece products. These modified adhesives provide skin protection, but are designed for more frequent pouching system changes.